About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
Greetings, Thank you for stopping by my little space on the World Wide Web. My blog is intended to be a friendly, informative space where you can pick up tips and tricks. I am Dani and 25 years old. Just like most other twenty somethings I thought I had a life plan after university and planned to take my Broadcast Journalism degree to the city. However, things do not happen like that as in my final year I learned I was pregnant and would be facing it alone. My blog covers the ups and downs without sugar coating (although i do love sugar). Finishing a degree and starting a master with a two month old baby was hard and I intend to cover all aspects of the unexpectedness and unconventional start of my family. I am in a place where I could not be happier with my family; Jack, Alexander and baby bear in my tummy. I will concentrate on my pregnancy, getting back in shape, diet and exercise and pulling it all together with no sleep. Alongside, I also plan to share my personal wedding planning journey. . Having worked as an Event manager I am thrilled to be organising my own wedding. I plan to do most of it myself and will talk you through DIY tips and tricks.

Thursday 25 September 2014

Butternut Squash, Ginger, Sweet Potato and Chilli Soup (RelievesMorning Sickness and Nausea)

HIYA all you baby boomers,

Todays post is for all you pregnant people (and those not). It is a delicious soup recipe that has health benefits as well as helps with sickness and even those closure to their due date (trying to push the baby out). The soup is one of my favourites so you try it and let me know what you think.

Butternut Squash, Ginger, Sweet Potato and Chilli Soup

BENEFITS

This recipe is super low in calories, GI and saturated fats. Butternut squash is a superfood known for its poly-phenolic antioxidants, vitamins, fibre and phyto-nutrients (α and ß-carotenes, cryptoxanthin-ß, and lutein, which convert Vitamin A in the body). It also contains Tryptophan known for a healthy neuro-chemical in the brain. Ginger is known for relieving GERD, Gastro problems and reflux, as well as increasing immunity, easing sickness (in a safe way opposed to over the counter medications which can call abnormalities) protecting against certain cancers and being inflammatory. Chillies do numerous things but the most applicable to pregnancy is fight inflammation, is a natural pain relief, helps the heart and cleanse the blood and lower the risk of type 2 diabetes (can happen in pregnancy).  

THE RECIPE 

Two large butternut squash
2 sweet potato 
One Baking potato (if desired, although normal contains carbs)
2 onions 
1 chilli plus chilli powder
coconut milk (jar)
piece of ginger
water (until its covered all the veg)
One Hand-held blender or food processor 
fresh Coriander finely chopped 

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Use almond oil/sunflower oil and roast off the butternut squash and one of the sweet potato. Once this has been done put the roasted veg in a large saucepan and add another sweet potato and a baking potato, onion, water and ginger (grated in). Leave for 20-30 minutes until the potato's are soft. Blitz up all your ingredients in your blender. Add the coconut milk and chilli and bring up to boil (beware chilli does intensify with heat). Should be orange in colour but also creamy.  Best served with fresh coriander and muesli bread (with raisons in). 

(If you already have a child do the same but keep some separated without the chilli. I know i did tonight and my little boy LOVED IT)

Here is a picture of the soup: 

Enjoy, you guys deserve it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment